Monday, June 13, 2011

No Ordinary People


“There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations – these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit… Next to the Blessed Sacrament itself, your neighbor is the holiest object presented to your senses.” 
– from The Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis

Over the last several weeks I’ve been spending time each day with my Dad, who is recovering from kidney failure and is in a rehab to build his strength back up. Many rehabs are located in skilled nursing facilities, and that is true for the one my father is in. This means that short-term patients share the facility with some folks who are there for the long-term. At first I wasn’t sure how I as going to handle spending so much time there…


but I’m finding that while it can be exhausting and challenging at times, there are so many patients (short and long term) who I have become very fond of, and I’m seeing that, in-deed, there are no ordinary people. I have met some of the most wonderful and fascinating people, and I'm learning that each life has an extraordinary story to tell. I just need to take the time to listen!

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! Good for you, and so fortunate for the ones your life is touching!
    Blessings on you! Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Connie. I enjoy reading your blog. I've been blessed enough to visit Hawaii twice (Maui & Kauai)... so I love reading your posts on life on Hawaii as well as seeing many of the creative people & projects that cross your path. Aloha.

    ReplyDelete